Dev Blog

Site Admin
admin

May 28, 2018, 22:51 pm

This thread is just a little dev-blog I'll keep running on progress for different features. Some of it will be very technical, some if it will be just me whining, and some of it will just be percent progress on various features.

Today, quite a bit of progress was made. Fixed bugs with NPC dialogue, cutscenes, several issues with autoplaying and skipping custcenes/dialogue, added instructions to the pause screen and positioning issues with NPCs on subgrid rerender. I also went ahead and programmed in the 'in game' time, which runs a 24h cycle ever 2 hours of real time. Right now this time is not being used for anything, but it will soon be used for changing the art for day/night and sunset and sunrise cycles and also for NPC scheduled behavior.

Yesterday, I worked on different NPC movement mechanics, including wandering around an origin area, static (sleeping, standing, sitting), following the player (like a party member might do), and actions (such as jumping or spinning). The art for these is not yet started, but the functionality has at least begun. I also reskinned the admin a bit (I'm calling it v1) but much work is still necessary before the admin is anywhere near presentable.
Site Admin
admin

May 29, 2018, 23:18 pm

Got the options table set up to take dialogue, and modified it to allow a cost (positive or negative) for charging or refunding points to a player. That field may eventually hold variable data (for a shopkeeper or something) so that items can be bought, exchanged and sold, but for now I just want to be able to charge a player to play a minigame.
I also moved the iconography for the spells onto a different layer so they would no longer conflict with the dialogue/cutscenes,
Site Admin
admin

Jun 11, 2018, 20:25 pm

Whew! It took a week or two but I DID it. I not only got the minigames hooked into the NPC dialogue (so now you can talk to an NPC and they will charge you x amount of gold to play a game, and then you will be entered into that game to play it within the RPG) but I also managed to write up all the permissions, pages (add, edit, delete, manage), migration statements and whatever else required for a functional ACP for the RPG. Right now I've got all the code for those pages baked into 1 function, but I think long term I'll write out specialized functions so that if I create a cutscene, I don't need to remember the difference between a cutscene event or section. There were several bugs identified along the way, but I'll tackle those here soon too. Overall I'm feeling pretty good about how things are coming along, the more tools like this I create for myself, the faster it will be to manage/edit/grow this game long term.
Site Admin
admin

Jul 21, 2018, 15:15 pm

Today I retooled the styling. There were issues on the FAQ page where the text was being cut off and the spacing was less than ideal, so I redid that and also redid all the styling for the forums. The breadcrumbs and search bar were at war with each other, everything was grid (instead of flex) and I had mixed mobile responsive with regular responsive. I cleaned all that up, and then also got the padding on the forum headers to be a bit better so that it has "less" negative margin manipulations. I expect I will work on even more stuff before the end of today but for now its all styling all day.
Site Admin
admin

Jul 22, 2018, 19:51 pm

Worked more on the styling today, specifically the icons used in the upper right menus (they looked wrong) and the colors customization. The load() and @use statements are not available yet in scss so I did almost everything but that, setting up the new directory for storing the custom colors files, refactoring the gulp compiler to accept JSON variables, separating out those color variables, and making a proof of concept userId colors file for myself. I am optimistic that the new dynamic dependencies changes will allow me to use userID as a variable which can then link a specific user to a specific color scheme. Depending on how many users Lasria ends up having, I may end up setting these files to their hue/saturation value instead of user ID if writing/storing those files becomes an insane performance issue. I also fixed the bug with the MCP dropdown not appearing on some pages and looked into the head image not appearing issue (unresolved as of yet) on the index and threads.
Site Admin
admin

Jul 28, 2018, 13:10 pm

Notes: Finish layout, then generate JSON files.

when all json files are generated (generate_json_files js)... recompile a css file off of all of them through gulp/cmd line/manual

each json file should have a css counterpart.

delete all json files that were generated and disable the php backend endpoint in ajax.

should totally make a script to track how many users are using each color scheme combo

defaults
fadeddarkbg: "#28313F",
lightbg "#51ade6"
medbg "#3f96cf"
meddarkbg "#216ec0"
darkbg "#05295c"
verydarkbg "#031535"
verylightbg "#cfeafc"
verylightbg2 "#cadeed"
verylightbg3 "#a3d7fa"
Site Admin
admin

Find contents in file...
findstr /s /n /i /p foo *
Site Admin
admin

Did a lot of stuff today...starting with the colorwheel. I got the majority of the colors separated out from the other stylesheets (also separated some stylesheets into new ones) and then wrote the JS to write JSON-default color variables based on a for loop (0-100 saturation and 1-360 hue) so now I have 36,000 files of json...then realized that there is no way to gulp auto-compile inside a loop (yet) for the CSS files that need to happen off those JSON files (still researching). So I manually created about 30 files then built the JS swap color function which runs off a cookie, then added it to the event for the header. Then tried to load everything as a preloaded asset but no dice...no big deal though, since the 100kb file is going to be even smaller after minification and after I get a few more things cleaned up. I cleaned up several style issues along the way, and I set up a ton new default colors and classes for them so that my extension pages can use those classes and not have to worry too much about the layout being broken between the main site and those pieces. I also fixed a breadcrumb bug, and am currently working on the dropdown menu bug but overall I'm pretty happy about the progress that was made today. Planning to finish the styling for the site 100% before I bother with rerendering those JSON variables and manually (but hopefully programmatically) generating the CSS files that will need to go with them.

Got the right dropdown halfway to fixed. It needs a unique identifier it doesn't have yet. Fixed the headshot images not showing on homepage bug and the avatars not showing on viewtopic bug. Also fixed more styling stuff.
Site Admin
admin

Standardized some SCSS stuff (chevrons, buttons), and made the page requests pull in the page specific css (which I also wrote the gulp compilation for and worked on quite a bit). Just spent probably an hour working on the network requests, got them down from 120 to ~30 per page by fixing some event calls in my exts that didn't need to be global (loading in JS/CSS). Also got bootstrap mostly removed and removed phpbb default icons because they were pretty ugly. Did some more work on the pathing to styles (fixed for nested paged) and fixed a bug with the UCP menu dropdown so that it actually links to the points page instead of refreshing or style erroring. Still have a lot of work to go on the styling but feeling more optimistic about its benefits after this work. The filesize for css loaded per page is still way too big (its down from about 110-120kb to ~47kb)...but I think part of that is that I have not been using my minifier gulp task yet. I did fix some weird loading stuff going on with styles (it was flickering the default no-color theme before loading in the colors css) but that was resolved easily enough just by changing around where the css gets loaded in. Fixed some other minor bugs and things here and there (avatar not loading in on posts, avatar head not loading in on homepage), and made a poll for people to vote on which color their layout is (expecting a lot of 'other').
Site Admin
admin

Fixed a bug with post icons, and also improved network calls (jquery was being called in 5 times). Working on pagination button calls 404 error now.